It's been a long time since I've posted anything here. I have a lot going on these days. Which is good, since my general demeanor deteriorates with boredom. But I have a few minutes this evening so I thought I'd jot down some thoughts on the terror attack in Garland, Texas on May 3rd.
1) This most definitely was a terrorist attack. Anybody who suggests different is either ignorant of the facts, a liar, or just plain stupid. It also serves as positive proof that there are now violent radical Islamists operating in the US and they are actively seeking targets.
2) Yes, the event that was the target of the attack was intended to be provocative. Yes, it was a "free speech" event. It is possible to be both. Ask any "artist" that has desecrated an American flag or Christian religious symbol or icon.
3) There is no religious exemption regarding being the target of provocative speech, no matter how much the left wing media insinuates that there is or ought to be. Just ask any Christian in the Western world how far that line of argument has ever gotten them.
4) Given the fact that the man who planned and carried out this attack was a radicalized American convert to Islam, expect more of these attacks. This one failed; others will succeed. If Europe's experience with unfettered immigration from the Islamic world is any indication, things are going to get extremely ugly over the next couple of decades.
5) Expect the mainstream media, academia, and leftist political establishment to do everything it can to downplay, rationalize, and just plain ignore the rise in violent crime across the board that will likely occur in the US just as it has occurred in Europe and Scandinavia. Google "Rotherham sex abuse" and rape stats from England, Sweden, and Norway for a preview of what's to come unless US political leadership cracks down on immigration and starts forcing cultural assimilation (not bloody likely).
6) Start reading up on 4th Generation Warfare (start with Bill Lind and Martin van Creveld) if you want to make sense of how modern radical Islamists operate. These people are all basically independent operators with a very general set of goals and objectives. Remember all the shit we were told about terror cells getting their orders from some central command out in the Iraqi desert or some such? Throw all that out the window. There are no terror cells; it's all about fucking shit up on an individual, ad hoc basis.
7) They are expecting us to expect them to follow some semblance of a rule book. That they will do no such thing gives them a tactical and psychological advantage.
8) They and their forebears have proven repeatedly over the last 1300 years that they will kill anyone, any time, and any place, and they expect to die doing so. This also gives them a tactical and psychological advantage.
9) If you live among or near a large immigrant Muslim community, buy a gun and learn to use it proficiently. If you live in a state that allows open carry, do so. If you live in a state that allows concealed carry, do so. The shooters in Garland failed because the event organizers planned for trouble and spent a pretty penny on armed security. If Americans are half the xenophobic gun nuts that liberals insist we are, now would probably be a good time to start letting our freak flags fly. Hunting's no fun when the rabbit's got a gun.
10) Start being more polite to Christians. It is just dumb to alienate the people who will go to war to keep you from being beheaded in the middle of your local farmer's market by crazed radical Muslims. Or don't, and enjoy being a diversion while the rest of us shore up our firing positions.
Like it or not, kids, we're in the shit now and it's far more likely to jump off in "blue" cities where "tolerance" is high and firearm enthusiasm is low than it is in rural areas where the rednecks fight each other just for shits and giggles. You know how Daryl Dixon is a fan favorite in The Walking Dead? Be like that.
As Heinlein was fond of saying, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.